Beauty Benefits of Green Tea for Skin and Hair
Initially, green tea was popular in China and used medicinally for centuries to treat everything from headaches to depression. Nowadays, people from all over the world consume green tea for its numerous health benefits.
It contains a high amount of antioxidants as well as enzymes, amino acids and phytochemicals like polyphenols. It also has B vitamins, folate, manganese, potassium, magnesium and caffeine.
In addition to its health benefits, green tea has an impressive list of skin and hair care benefits. To enhance your beauty, you can use green tea in your beauty masks. Also, drink a few cups of this popular beverage daily.
Here are the top 10 beauty benefits of green tea for skin and hair.
IMPROVES SKIN COMPLEXION
Green tea improves your skin complexion by flushing out toxins from the skin, heals blemishes, reduces scars and inflammation. It even improves skin’s elasticity.
- Cut open 2 used green tea bags and scoop out their contents.
- Add 1 to 2 teaspoons of raw honey.
- Mix in a little lemon juice.
- Apply it on your face and allow it to sit for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Rinse it off with lukewarm water.
- Use this face mask once or twice a week.
REDUCES PUFFY EYES AND DARK CIRCLES
The antioxidants and tannins (an astringent) in green tea help treat puffy eyes as well as dark circles. They help shrink blood vessels underneath the delicate skin around the eyes. This in turn reduces swelling and puffiness.
In addition, the vitamin K in green tea helps lighten dark circles under the eyes.
- Put 2 used green tea bags in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Place the cold tea bags on your closed eyelids.
- Sit back and relax for 15 minutes.
- Use this remedy twice daily until you are satisfied with the results.
FIGHTS SIGNS OF AGEING
Green Tea has anti-ageing and antioxidant benefits that can help delay signs of ageing such as sagging skin, sun damage, age spots, fine lines and wrinkles.
The polyphenols in green tea help neutralize harmful free radicals, which can cause significant damage to the skin and accelerate the aging process.
In addition, it helps fight prevent skin cancer.
- Mix 3 tablespoons of plain yogurt, 1 tablespoon of ground green tea leaves and a little turmeric powder. Apply it on your face and neck. Allow it to sit for 20 minutes before rinsing it off with lukewarm water. Use this face mask once or twice a week.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of Matcha green tea and a few drops of water to make a paste. If you have dry skin, add 1 teaspoon of Matcha green tea and ½ teaspoon each of extra-virgin coconut oil and warm water. Apply it on your face, leave it on until it dries completely, then rinse it off with warm water. Do this a few times a week.
TREATS ACNE AND PIMPLES
The catechins in green tea are antibacterial agents that help fight acne-causing bacteria. Catechins even help regulate hormonal imbalances in the body, one of the key causes of acne.
In addition, anti-inflammatory property of green tea helps reduce the redness and inflammation brought about by acne.
- Mix ¼ cup each of freshly brewed green tea and water.
- Use a cotton ball to apply this solution on the affected area.
- Allow it to sit for 10 to 15 minutes, then rinse it off with cool water.
- Do this twice daily until you have acne-free skin.
WORKS AS A SKIN TONER
Green tea works as a natural toner for your skin, it helps draw out impurities, reduces large pores and gives your skin a nice healthy glow.
It even helps keep your skin hydrated, which is essential for healthy skin.
- Brew 2 cups of green tea and allow it to cool.
- Add a few drops of any essential oil of your choice.
- Put the solution in a clean spray bottle.
- Spray the solution on your face or apply it with a cotton ball twice daily.
People with skin conditions, such as psoriasis and rosacea, can also use this solution.
STIMULATES HAIR GROWTH
Green tea contains a high amount of antioxidants that promote hair growth. The catechins in it have 5-alpha-reductase inhibiting properties that help block DHT (Dihydrotestosterone), one of the key causes of hair loss.
It can even promote the growth of new hair and prevent common problems like dry scalp and dandruff.
- After washing your hair, rinse it with cool, freshly brewed green tea. Leave it on for 10 minutes, then rinse it out with cool water. Do this 2 or 3 times a week for a couple of months.
- Drink 2 to 3 cups of green tea daily to enjoy strong and beautiful hair
Green Tea is a beauty potion that everyone must definitely try!!
Write in your comments below and let us know how green tea helped you look even more beautiful!